- Go to setup to be able to connect an account
- Then click on Facebook to view all Ad Accounts connected, as well as be able to connect a new account
- Click on “Add New Account”
- Select the Business Manager and then the Facebook Ad account you want to connect and save.
Create a Data Import
- While still logged in, go to “Google Analytics Data Import“
- Click on “New Data Import”
- Enter a name for the Data Import you’re creating
- Source: The Facebook Ad Account you want to send the cost data from
- Destination: The Google Analytics property you want to send the data to
- Data Set: The data set you created specifically for your Facebook Ads cost data
- Click “Save”
Setup Your UTM Tags in Facebook
When you look into your ad details, you will see a section called Tracking, where you’ll see a field called URL Parameters ∙ Optional.
We currently only support the following Dynamic Parameters to be used for the UTM parameters for Source, Medium, Campaign, or Content (with plans to support the rest):
We’ve included below a UTM parameter structure to get you started. Just copy & paste the code below for all your Facebook ads.
And for all your Instagram ads:
If you’d like to customize the UTM parameter structure, see the documentation here which shows all the available variables Facebook has available.